AT 7.00 p.m.

Present: Councillors T Butcher (Chairman), C Butler, R Butler, A Dick, A Jeffrey and A Keeley In attendance: P Thompson (Clerk) and District Councillor V Von Celsing

Apologies: None

Declaration of Interests: None Minutes:

The Minutes of the last ordinary meeting of the Council were approved and signed by the Chairman.

District Councillor’s report:

District Councillor Virginia Von Celsing advised the meeting that the Council was having to make further cuts in preparing the budget for the year to 31 March 2018. The consultation regarding the proposed cuts is available on the Council’s website.

Virginia also advised that it is hoped that the opening of the Liverpool container port may reduce some of the heavy goods traffic on the A34.

Virginia offered her thanks to Yattendon Estate for allowing Gigaclear access over its land to lay the fibre cables. It is hoped that the parish will have access to superfast broadband by March 2017 as they are currently installing in Yattendon.

Finally, Virginia mentioned that it was a unanimous decision of the planning committee to refuse the recent application at Straight Ash.

Police matters:

Councillor Alex Dick reported that there had been two walk in burglaries in the village which is apparently not unusual at this time of year when the clocks change. Alex recommended that residents should fit alarms to their properties, including sheds. DNA markers should also be considered.

Alex also reported that, in the wider area, there had been thefts of lead from churches, firearms stolen from a vehicle as well as a theft of a keeper’s vehicle.

Footpaths and byways:

Councillor Colin Butler reported that he had received no comments from residents regarding the state of the footpaths and expressed concern that problems were not being reported. The Clerk advised that one resident had reported matters direct to him and that these had been dealt with.


It was noted that the B4009, Aldworth Road and Yattendon Lane were the only parish roads included in West Berkshire Council’s snow clearance and primary treatment routes. Roads through the main village will qualify for secondary treatment only.

It is important that the salt bins are only used to clear the hills for which they were provided as the Parish Council will have to meet the cost of refilling these bins.

The Clerk was asked to report the problem with the drain by the church which overflows. It is thought to have been caused by damage when the road was resurfaced.

Planning Applications update:

16/00784 Detached cart shed, store and home office at Straight Ash. Refused by WBC.

16/01817 and 16/01818/LBC2 Replacement of outbuildings with an extension to the garage and annexe at Noakes Hill Cottage. Refused by WBC.

16/02117 Two storey side extension, replacing single storey part, at 6 Stubbles. Approved by WBC 16/01823 Replace garage with workshop/gym and office above at South Cottage. Approved by WBC.

16/01960 Single storey rear extension at Ashlea, Holly Lane. Approved by WBC

16/02607 Single storey indoor pool building at Linden House. No objections submitted subject to conditions regarding making good any damage to the byway. Awaiting decision fromWBC.

Flowers Piece maintenance:

It was agreed that the parish council will meet the cost of emptying the waste bin by the playground at an annual cost of £44. The Clerk was asked to notify WBC accordingly.

The Chairman confirmed that no maintenance work was to be funded by the Parish Council at the present time. ART will meet the cost of repairing the fence around the playground and laying bark where necessary.

Library consultation:

The Clerk was asked to respond to the consultation on behalf of the Council as Councillors were concerned that the mobile service should be maintained as it was used by at least 8 residents. The Clerk was to mention that the Pangbourne and Theale libraries were well used by residents and to remove them would put extra pressure on the Newbury library.

Community Infrastructure Levy:

The Chairman agreed to discuss with ART as to what projects the levy receipt of £2,263 could be put.


Payments were authorised as follows:

P Thompson £254.42 Clerk’s salary and expenses for October and November

Scofell Landscapes Ltd £588.74 Grass cutting

It was agreed that a donation of £30.00, under Section 137, should be made to Sue Ryder Duchess of Kent Hospice.

The Clerk presented his report for the year to date and his initial budget for the year to 31 March 2018. The Clerk explained that the final budget and precept should be agreed at the next meeting. In particular, the Clerk suggested that Councillors should consider what work may need to be carried out at Flowers Piece and whether the website could be managed. The Clerk advised that Rob Barker had carried out the work on the website, necessary for meeting the Transparency Rules, and will be greatly missed when he leaves the village. Councillor Rita Butler offered to speak to Rob regarding the work involved with the website.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.30 p.m.

The next meeting will convene at 7.00 p.m. on Monday 9 January 2017.